The fate of Andhra Pradesh is literally in doldrums. It feels sad that every political party is indulging in their own theatrics rather than fighting for good of the state.
The problem with the promises made to the state during its bifurcation in 2014 was that not all were actually promised legally. There are 3 different kinds of promises that Central Govt made to AP State government.
Incorporated in Ap Reorg act and said “Will Do”.
Incorporated in AP Reorg act and said “ Might do”.
Promises made orally in Parliament but not incorporated in the act and BJP given promises during Election campaign of 2014.
As one can understand by now, 2 and 3 cannot be fought legally and no body can be held accountable.
Coming to 1, the act is still vaguely written which can be interpreted in different ways.Revenue deficit is something which state govt and Central govt have to decide. AP govt used this liberty and made the number huge. No detailed technical logic is included in the act.
Institutes of National importance like NIT, AIIMS, IIM , Petroleum University – They are started just for namesake. No proper funds. Act only mentions Central govt will support. Whatever the support, it can be technically a support.
Funds to Capital city – Central govt is giving some which is not sufficient.
The confusion arises from
Lack of proper detailing in AP Reorg act
Lack of understanding that all promises were actually not made .
Political game plan by both TDP and BJP to get stronghold in AP.
That is why, so many committees are required to actually assess what was promised and how much. A classic case of how public policy can be misused for political gains.
Pawan Kalyan has initiated a Joint Fact Finding Committee with esteemed people like Dr Jayaprakash Narayan and others to first assess the kind of promises made and what Central Govt owes to state.
The report is at https://twitter.com/Loksatta_Party/status/969959604162519046 and totals that around 74000 crores need to be disbursed by Centre to State Government.
Dr JP is now on second phase of more detailed analysis of the acts with more information available and would be coming up with a report in coming weeks.
Note:If you are not living in India, please have your Passport number handy – political donations from overseas require that. And did I tell you that Loksatta party was the one who fought for such streamlining of political donations.
You can donate to specific candidate .
2) Join our ground campaign .
Loksatta Central Volunteer: email@example.com ☎: 91-40-2331 1819 / 2331 1817 LB Nagar – 7893540230 Uppal – 8341292601 Secunderabad Cantonment – 9652380710 Qutubullapur & Medchal – 9949022224 Kukatpally – 9866541113 Malkajgiri – 9491871121 All other constituencies: Missed Call to 8099333444
Follow our updates on our facebook and twitter accounts :
5) Vote For Loksatta and Encourage your friends and family in Andhra Pradesh to vote for Loksatta in upcoming elections wherever party is contesting
It is high time citizens of our country stop seeing things through colored glasses of winners, losers, caste and region. It is so tiring to be cynical for such a long time. It is time to embrace the politics of “Facts” + “Reasoning”.
We are at a crucial juncture of our nation where we need to choose the future In the next 6 months from now, we will see all kinds of politricks to be played to woo the voter base of the country.
Let me present you the my views on party i started admiring a couple of years back and been a relentless follower of it . Starting 2009,politics in my homestate of AP have changed and all parties got back so defensive and so ambiguously ambitious to sustain their survival.Like they say, every adversity provides an opportunity to see the silver lining and help a new force emerge with a sane voice. I will be presenting my case below in a form of Q&A on why you must be supporting a party like Loksatta for better future for ourselves.
If you are already aware of Loksatta and want to be part of the revolution,you can join at http://members.loksatta.org .If you are not in India, you can join Loksatta NRI wing PeopleForLoksatta and contribute from wherever you are. Incase of any further questions, you can call up Loksatta at 040-66736672 . Or you can just ping me if you can .If you want to contribute more in volunteeering, i can help that your passion is not dried of and put to best use.
Q. Why does someone need to have a political opinion ?
Believe it or not,everyone is part and parcel of politics. You have a birth right and a fundamental duty to vote in this country and elect people to make laws when you turn 18 and have your say in future of the nation. We pay around 50 % of our earnings as taxes directly or indirectly and politicians are supposed to ensure they are used for better good. Its your tax money used for repairing those potholed roads you travel everyday, taking care of water supply , electricity supply and sewage supply for your house,ensuring that your safety is taken care by law enforcement agencies,provides scholarships to your children’s education and much much more .Dont you think its our duty to ensure politics are good and your money is accountable.
Q. What is the political party i support ?
I support Loksatta Party .
Q.What is Loksatta Party ?
Loksatta Party is founded by Dr.Jayaprakash Narayan , an IAS officer who served as Andhra Pradesh state secretary and his accolades and accomplishments are extraordinary.He started Loksatta as an NGO for electoral and public policy reforms.This wiki page provides you with ton of information and you must look at the party website .This NGO was transformed to a political party in 2006.It can easily be said as a pioneer for clean politics for this new generation.
Q. Why was an NGO turned to a political party when it was doing a good job ?
Loksatta NGO was turned to a political party for better good. An NGO has limitations on lawmaking. You can take up an issue , take it to law makers but cannot ensure steps to be taken to mitigate an issue. A public society opinion is only considered when the issue is serious and also mostly for political mileages. This was the same reason Anna-Kejriwal led IAC had to form a political party called AamAadmi party by Kejriwal . Rest is all the recent news.
Q. What makes me think Loksatta is better and apart from all political parties ?
Loksatta Party has strong ethical principles, extraordinary track record as an NGO,an excellent dedicated cadre and most importantly a practical visionary agenda. In the past 5 years where Dr.JP has been a elected MLA , he has taken up to light on some of the most demanding issues . Search for “Jayaprakash Narayan in Assembly” in youtube and you can see the action first hand. One sample video on youtube. You can check out the 50 guarantees of Loksatta Party for the promises. Please take time to read them. And what not, the office bearers are choosen by internal democracy.You vote who takes care of party.
I personally believe that TDP is following Loksatta Agenda these days. Todays Agenda of Loksatta is tommorrows action point of TDP. TDP has taken up the VANPIC issue only after JP raised it in assembly. TDP took up the Farmers satyagraha only after Loksatta led a protest to sell AP farmer produce to Karnataka.
A party with good beliefs and vision will always make other parties change. Recent PehleAAP phenomenon in Delhi is the living proof.
Q. What is the work done by Dr.JP in Kukatpally in last 5 years ?
You dont need to do much effort, entire list is collated at http://www.kukatpallynow.com . Surajya Movement was done recently to give awareness of good politics. For other tons of Loksatta efforts in last 5 years,you can check out the Activities tab in official website.
Q.What are the achievements in electoral field for Loksatta from its inception as a party ?
Loksatta Dr.JP has won Kukatpally Assembly constituency in 2009 polling around 70+ thousand votes. LSP contested the by elections in 2008 and secured second place in Khairatabad and Terlam constituencies in Andhra Pradesh. There have been good number of Local panchayat representatives elected in the recently finished Panchayat elections in Andhra Pradesh. Loksatta has polled around 7.5 lakh votes in entire state of Andhra pradesh in 2009 (thats more than half of Chiranjeevi’s PRP for comparison) elections with close to 10-12 % in constituencies in Hyderabad and other urban places. And let me remind you that all this wins are by using the legal money given by people, without distributing any liquor or a green note.
Q.What is the stand of Loksatta on Telangana issue ?
Loksatta is not against Telangana formation. But the due process has to be followed in a logical ethical manner where all stakeholders are in a win-win situation and nobody looses because of a political decision. More from official website here.
Q. Why couldnt Loksatta perform in 2009 as similar to AAP in 2013 ?
Delhi is a mostly urban territory . AP is not. LSP did the strategic mistake of contesting all 294 constituencies inspite of only urban appeal. LSP made a dent in Hyderabad and Vijayawada. Ask TDP , they will tell how LSP made a difference in these urban places.
2) Delhi in 2013 is vexed with 15 year rule of Cong . The only alternative was BJP. It is comfortable to play the game as underdog with only 3 players. AP in 2009 had Cong with YSR launching stellar welfare schemes just before elections in his first 5 year term. PRP was just being launched . TDP,TRS trying to make a living . There was no political vacuum left for LSP. Things in 2014 will be entirely different.
Q. Where all the states Loksatta party is functioning and how can one be a member of it ?
Loksatta party currently has strong base in Andhra Pradesh. It is significant in Bangalore and even participated in Karnataka elections securing a very good vote presence. Loksatta Maharashtra has won some panchayats and is the next big thing. Loksatta Tamil Nadu is roaring and hoping to make its presence in coming elections. Loksatta has good number of supporters in Haryana and Delhi.
If you are an NRI, you can join Loksatta NRI wing PeopleForLoksatta , the most dedicated and vibrant overseas supporters ushering for a change in India.
You can join loksatta at http://members.loksatta.org . Incase of any further questions, you can call up Loksatta at 040-66736672 . Or you can just ping me if you can 🙂
Q. What are the official online channels where i can keep track of Loksatta activities ?
Disclaimer : Iam a staunch believer in unity of Telugu people and the current Andhra Pradesh state is the best option beneficial for the current state. However, i personally dont want negation of majority parties decision to divide the state as its an even more dangerous phenomenon for our democracy than dividing a state . The below is my view, opinion and appeal to all the people concerned with this Telangana-Andhra issue.
Last month and long has been the rare momentum thats happening in Seemandhra region of current Andhra pradesh state , where Lakhs of people are on roads and protesting without a political masthead. Initially, started as a “Justice for Andhra” movement, turned to “Samaikyandhra” movement, thanks to the reckless foot-in-mouth syndrome of TRS chief and his comments regarding government employees in Hyderabad.
Telangana and Seemandhra are like conjoined twins who have one heart .i.e Hyderabad. To divide the twins, you need to create another heart and change the entire artery system of the body which doesnt have heart.And if this operation of separation has to be done, its next to miracle to have two healthy bodies after its done.
First, people of Telangana region should understand that creation of a new state is ‘neither a panacea , nor a pariah’ , it doesnt solve any problem except the political hunger of some politicians and satisfy the ego of some of maniacs who still revere in primordial loyalties, and there is a huge danger that can cause big unimaginable problems. The silver lining is that we are in a highly transparent democratic society and things can be sorted out through the royal way of showing a middle finger, i.e Vote. If you want to vote for TRS or Congress just because they are giving a new state, you seriously deserve to be separated.
Telangana movement accelerated only with the help of hate speeches and warmongering . If this continues, you are not creating a new state , but two warring states . Yes, different regions can divide like brothers, but first , lets decide how many brothers are we talking about. 2 ( Telangana, Seemandhra), 3( T,S Rayalaseema) or 4 ( T, S, R , Hyderabad) . Even a person who cuts the cake doesnt take the first piece and sits watching the fun who all fighting for rest of the cake.
If you want to know, why the new state is not completely beneficial for Telangana, you can check here.
Dear UnitedAndhra(Samaikyandhra) protestors, this is what we get when you vote for parties which were okay for separate state at the time of election or be silent when the parties were officially OK for a new state . There is very less use of calling for a united state now, but if it is its good. UPA and BJP have officially endorsed the new state.But the fight needs to be for the any of the new states to not to loose in anyway in this due process. Even if you look at all the official protests now, they are only saying that a justice needs to be done before dividing the state. And i totally concur with that view.We all know the credibility and history of the party which just started saying “Samaikhyandhra” .
To remind everyone, that there will be a big burden on central government exchequer to create two new states of Telangana and Seemandhra Pradesh.This is unprecedented in Indian History where a state which has state capital has to be renamed and is the new state. A new state machinery has to be setup in Seemandhra region and all the existing state machinery in Hyderabad has to be restructured, reorganised and renamed. I dont even have the clue if we require one lakh crores or five lakh crores for this exercise.All the funds allocation for this exercise should be finalised and promised beforehand so that the new states does not suffer in future.
There can be only be negotiations and understanding at this stage and people of Telangana should be concerned with what all happening in rest of the state.
For Way forward , these are some things needs to be considered and discussed so that everyone is in a win-win situation.The below points and resolution can be audacious but thats my view point.
Rayalaseema and North Andhra
Hyderabad- Education : Hyderabad is the educational hub of the state and even one of the best equipped in India , I know some friends who came from Himachal, Gujarat,Assam just to study here.Hyderabad has ISB, IIT,IIIT,NIPER,NALSAR law university,BITS, HCU,Osmania,JNTU, PottiSriramulu Telugu university,NIFT, Acharya NG Ranga agricultural university. NIRD, ICFAI,ASCI etc and not to mention the 250+ Engineering colleges in its vicinity.
Hyderabad – Research and manufacturing : Hyderabad is also the research and Manufacturing hub of India. DRDL,ASL,CCMB, NFC,NIN, IICT,BHEL, NMDC, ECIL, HAL,IDPL,HMT, Reddy Labs and 18 of top 20 pharma companies of AP.
Hyderabad – IT/ITES : Hyderabad is the Dravid of Indian IT if Bangalore is the Sachin and NCR is Kohli. The city is home to more than 1500 IT firms. The major multinational IT firms located in Hyderabad are Microsoft (the largest R&D campus outside the US), Google,Facebook, CA Technologies,Amazon, IBM, Motorola, Samsung, Agilent, Automatic Data Processing, Oracle Corporation, Yahoo!, Dell, Texas Instruments, Hewlett-Packard, Virtusa, OpenText, UHG,The major Indian firms with development centres in the city are Mahindra Satyam, Infosys, Four Soft, Wipro, Cognizant, Tata Consultancy Services, Polaris and others.
Hyderabad-Sports : Hyderabad has the potential to be the sports capital of India. Gopichand Academy is churning out the next Indian Badminton legends. We have extraordinary sports infrastructure on lines of Delhi and SAP is considered one of the good sports administration in India.Hyderabad has hosted a bunch of international sports events and proved its mettle.
And iam not sure how such institutions can be replicated or how can one snatch away all these from rest of the state . Every parent in rural Andhra Pradesh dreams of their children to move to Hyderabad to search for a job. Almost all these educational and research institutions can put a reservation of locals and thus depriving a grand chance to the new state of Seemandhra region. To avoid this,
No existing public institution in Telangana region should put up new local reservation restrictions and consider both the people of regions as ONE( exempting the governance bureaucracy) atleast for next 15-20 years.Likewise in Seemandhra region for all the new institutions that will come up.
Also, No UT for Hyderabad.DOT. Its just an immature idea and creating two new capitals is the most underserved option in this issue.
Also, how can one of the new state have its temporary capital 100 kms far away from its border.Does people who decided have a common sense of Geography 101.
Water : Some analysis of water issues can be found here .There will be water wars between the new states , of which the arid Rayalaseema region need much more of allocation. All the allocations have to be decided beforehand splitting the states and a special preference needs to be given to the arid region of Rayalaseema. Polvaram project needs to come up to save the Delta regions which is the rice granary of India and the additional allocation of 45 TMC we get for this project for this project can be allocated to Rayalaseema and Telangana. There is a fear in many that there might be water stoppage at Srisailam and Nagarjuna Sagar .So,
The current usage and allocations to projects has to continue with respect to Godavari and Krishna rivers and any other river which is flowing in both the regions of the state and an independent body should be constituted with constitutional privileges to overlook any issues in this aspect.
There might be scarcity with respect to electricity , for the state of Telangana if state is bifurcated. Seemandhra region has abundant gas reserves and uranium reserves which are yet to be exploited and can be used for power generation in future. The Singareni coal is loosing its efficiency and KTPS(Kothagudem) in Telangana region is using the imported coal or from Talchar mines for its electricity production. So,
Telangana region should be given preference allocation for all the new electricity generation plants that will come up in Seemandhra region. Telangana region also needs additional consumption as the irrigation is mainly by electric motors .
Trade Barrier :
Telangana region will not have a sea port and will be landlocked.This seriously effects the imports and exports for the region of Telangana region. Currently, agriculture produce in states are not allowed to be sold outside of the state . A farmer cannot sell his rice or mirchi in another state. Going by the statistics, Seemandhra region rice production outbeats Telangana region and the new trade barrier that will come up will only increase the costs of all the essential items in Telangana region that are produced in Seemandhra region.
Prices of Rice, tobacco,cotton,palmolive etc would be severly hit with this new trade barrier. Sameway, the existing manufacturing and pharma sector in Hyderabad would be severly hit with this new trade barrier and land locked situation. So,
There should not be any additional taxes and trade barriers with respect to import and exports for the current entire state region of Andhra Pradesh and all the coming up internal trade restrictions need to be reviewed so that both the new states are in a win-win situation.
Rayalaseema and North Andhra :
A separate Rayalseema board and North Andhra board needs to be setup to address any issues with respect to that region.There is a huge danger that if Rayalaseema people or North Coastal Andhra people feel discrimination after some 20-30 years.
Bureaucracy : The main fear /reason that AP NGOs are on roads since last 60+ days is that there have been grace injustices to people of new states formed with new capitals while they were retiring from state services. Their service in erstwhile states was not considered while dividing the states and there are still legal battles going on with respect to that . This needs to be take care first. All the existing personnel of state services in Hyderabad should be given preference to settle in their current cadre or the new state cadre . If they are opting for new state cadre , they should be given an uplift in their benefits .Also, the people of Telangana should not be left out in creation of new state machinery of Seemandhra region and loosing some great opportunities.We have around 100+ government departments which will need to be developed in the new state and an estimated 0.75 to 1 lakh new government employees are required for Seemandhra region governance. So,
All this needs to be done by a central government constituted tribunal which looks after till the complete bifurcation is completed.The current employees in Hyderabad should have a preference to stay where they are now.
Atleast 25% preference allocation needs to be given in all the government services for the people of Telangana region so that they can also opt for the enormous job opportunities that will prop up in creating a new state machinery of Seemandhra region.
And the biggest loss we are giving to the Telugus is that, the first rate politicians like Chandra Babu Naidu or Jayaprakash Narayan or anyone of that stature cannot become chief ministers of any state due to political restrictions and you just lost being governed by the best and have to live with the second rung of politicians.
End Disclaimer : This post is my personal opinion. If you want to counter,bring me facts and legal sources and i will correct it if applicable.
“After considering all aspects, the Committee found the balance tilting in favour of keeping the state united”
This can easily summarise what the six member committee on Telangana wants to say. This is not a final mandate on Telangana nor brought out some new facts and analysis.
It would be an official proof for all the claims and arguments the both side leaders are propogating.It is the whole database for the central govt and state govt to actually find the loopholes of the administrative activities in the telangana region.
Here are the some interesting points I have found in the report.
Note:These are only the interesting points i found and not the summary.
1) “The States Reorganization Commission, accordingly, unanimously adopted the principle of linguistic homogeneity as the basis to recommend the reorganization of states.” .
2) Though this is not related but gives a insight about political atmosphere in AP. “Incidentally, in the post emergency Lok Sabha elections (1977),although the Congress Party led by Smt. Indira Gandhi lost in almost all the northIndian states, in Andhra Pradesh, it won 41 out of 42 Lok Sabha seats” .
3) “Dr. M. Chenna Reddy, earlier a well known protagonist of separate Telangana, became the Chief Minister on March 6, 1978, and reportedly announced that “separate Telangana is no longer an issue”.
4) “The enduring leadership in the form of N.T. Rama Rao and N. Chandrababu Naidu of Telugu Desam Party and of Dr. Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy of the Congress Party for long periods, aided by a strong political machinery for governance while at the same time continuing to champion the cause of Telugu unity, helped in keeping the demand for a separate Telangana dormant or at best in a subdued state”
5) “In the Congress election manifesto for 2004 elections, it was stated that “the Congress Party recognizes the growing emotions and aspirations of the people in the Telangana region”. It was further added in the manifesto that „while respecting the report of the States‟Reorganization Commission, the Congress Party notes that there are many valid reasons for formation of separate states in Vidarbha and Telangana. However the reorganization of existing States raises a large number of issues.The Congress Party feels that the whole matter could be best addressed byanother States‟ Reorganization Commission to look into all the issues involved”.
6) “It may be relevant to mention here that unlike the National Common Minimum Programme (NCMP) of UPA-1, the NCMP of UPA-2 did not make any mention of the Telangana issue”
7) “One of the major arguments for a separate state of Telangana has been that since the formation of the state of AP, this region has been neglected and even discriminated against, resulting in economic and social hardship.” “Yet, when a study of rate of change,growth rate and shares in the state economy is evaluated, nothing unusual emerges.”
8) “The relatively deprived region of AP is Rayalaseema”
9) Page 191 – TRS and other groups gave wrong data to committee on university grants .
10) “While the progress of literacy and access to schooling is satisfactory in Telangana, there are some differences in allocation of funds and location of institutions that need to be rectified”
11) “There is a strong case, therefore, to allocate more funds to Telangana colleges”
12) “The frustration of the youth when their expectations are not met is exploited by politicians who claim that their inability to get a job commensurate with their degree is due to discrimination against Telangana people thus causing interregional and inter-community disaffection.”
13) “The data about incumbency of Ministers in charge of major and medium irrigation, and data about Engineers in Chief, as available from the Government of Andhra Pradesh, was also seen. The Ministers for Major Irrigation were mostly from Telangana (55%). The Engineers-in-Chief were mostly from coastal Andhra (56%) but those from Telangana were also incumbent for a considerable period (43%). This does not indicate that those in charge of this sector were mostly from outside Telangana”.
14) “Catchment area cannot be the only criterion. “
15) “on polavaram – part of the share of Andhra Pradesh could come to Telangana also. Thus Telangana, while losing some land, would also benefit from the project. A demand for stopping the project at this stage appears misconceived.”
16) “The agricultural power consumption in Telangana is much more as compared to coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema “
17) “That demand for “regional reservation” for Group A and B posts in administration carries serious national implications and was not found to be feasible “
18) “Thus an analysis of MPs elected in the 2009 election shows that compared to 92% of Seema-Andhra MPS, only 35% of those from Telangana had a political or business family background. Among the MLAs elected during the same election, while 63% of the Seema- Andhra winners had a political family background, only 20% of those from the Telangana region had such a background. “
19) “The Committee did not find any real evidence of any major neglect by the state government in matters of overall economic development “
20) “The grievances of the people of Telangana, such as non-implementation of some of the key decisions included in the Gentleman‟s Agreement (1956), certain amount of neglect in implementation of water and irrigation schemes, inadequate provision for education infrastructure (excluding Hyderabad), and the undue delay in the implementation of the Presidential order on public employment etc., have contributed to the felt psyche of discrimination and domination, with the issue attaining an emotional pitch. The continuing demand, therefore, for a separate Telangana, the Committee felt, has some merit and is not entirely unjustified.”
21) “The view of the Committee is that since a new governance model giving powers to a Regional Council within the state is to be legally established, a suitable provision to that effect may be necessary to be incorporated in Part XXI (Article 371) of the Constitution”
22) “The united Andhra option is being suggested for continuing the development momentum of the three regions and keeping in mind the national perspective. “
23) “Separation is recommended only in case it is unavoidable and if this decision can be reached amicably amongst all the three regions. “
24) “The other combination of regions – coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema together can also sustain themselves as a state; in fact they can also sustain themselves separately.”
25) Hyderabad‟s historical distinctiveness has always been well known. As a city, it is, as Nehru said of India, “an ancient palimpsest on which layer upon layer of thought and reverie had been inscribed, and yet no succeeding layer had completely hidden or erased what had been written previously”
Disclaimer: All these points are directly copy pasted from the original report given to Ministry of home Affairs, GOI. The author does not hold any responsibility for any of the 25 statements.